Monday, October 8, 2012

DIY Canvas Prints

Now that my son goes to preschool one morning a week, I'm trying to plan tasks or something to do during that time -- otherwise the "free" three hours gets sucked into computer time.  A few weeks ago, I decided to start a craft project during that "free time" that I finished pretty quickly after my son got home.

I ended up with a free 11x14 print from a photo site a few weeks before.  Then I spotted several DIY tutorials on pinterest for making canvas prints.  There are quite a few variations -- I think I read at least 6 different ones.  Here are the two I "mixed" to come up with what I did: Faux Canvas Prints at A Little McD and DIY Canvas Prints at How Does She

I bought the following:
11x14 canvas (you could also buy a smaller canvas to allow you to wrap your photo)

foam brushes

craft paint (for the edges - black, brown, or whatever works with your decor)

mod podge






*Before starting, hold your print onto the cavas and check if it needs any trimming (mine did).  I also played with the mod podge a little on a 4x6 snapshot to figure out how thick I liked it and what direction of brush strokes looked better.

* Paint the sides and part of the front of your canvas with the craft paint. 


* Once its dry, paint with modge podge evenly
photo credit:  my 3 year old

* Carefully position your print onto the glue

* Let it dry for a while so the photo wouldn't move during the next step

* Paint the print with modge podge.  Make sure the last time you go over it that you are intentionally with the direction of your brush strokes.
 
 
 
If you noticed, the final result of this project was also in this post :)
 
 
Please note:  I'm not an expert on anything related to this craft.  I have no idea how well this will hold up in the long run or what it might look like in a year from now.  This is one of the reasons I waited 3 weeks before posting in case something bad happened.  I'm very pleased with the result for now!

1 comment:

  1. Ooooo....I like this! I smell inexpensive Christmas gifts in the works :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...